Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: These ones are underrated

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's edition is: 
Top Ten Books That are Underrated.

I've decided to do 5 adult novels and 5 YA novels that I love and that I don't think get enough buzz.

Here they are:



 Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin- This is an adult novel about someone who is intersex and a major crisis situation happens that forces the protagonist to really question his identity.

Textual Healing by Eric Smith- This book was sent to me by the author, who works at Quirk Books. This story is just funny and endearing and I really enjoyed reading it.


 Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill- I feel like Hill's Horns and even NOS4A2 are pretty well known but this book gave me the heebie jeebies. That doesn't happen often.

Arranged by Catherine McKenzie- This one is about a woman who decides to try her hand at an arranged marriage when things in the dating scene just quite aren't working out. Super great read. In fact, I love all of McKenzie's novels.

 \
After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid- This is a recent read for me. I hadn't heard of it before but found it browsing around my bookstore. I read through this one really quickly and I felt like I could relate to the main character in this story.

Under by Skin by Charles de Lint- My friend and I went to de Lint's book launch for this one here in Ottawa. I wasn't expecting much considering how horrible the cover is but I have to say I was really impressed with the writing. Fun YA read about shapeshifters.


 The Miseducation of Cameron Post by Emily M. Danforth- This is a novel about a young girl who is learning to come into her own as a lesbian. She lives with a very strict family and when they find out about her sexual orientation they send her to a camp to help "reform" her. I keep pushing this book on everyone I know.

The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashares- Everyone knows The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series but this stand alone is not one that I hear a lot about. This is just one of those books that makes you cry (in a good way). Very good!


My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick- This book came out a couple of summers ago and it got a bit of hype but I don't know many people that read it. It's a very cute YA contemporary and I really liked the story.

Born at Midnight by C. C. Hunter- This is a series about a girl who goes to a summer camp and realizes not everyone is who they seem. Essentially a paranormal YA camp book. It doesn't get enough credit.

Hope you enjoyed my list and I can't wait to see yours.

Happy Reading!



1 comment:

  1. Wow, this reminded me that I had added Arranged to my TBR wishlist awhile ago and still haven't picked it up! This one sounds really intriguing and a unique concept! And I absolutely agree with MLND... I adored that book. I was late to the bandwagon of reading it, but immediately fell in love!

    ReplyDelete