Monday, September 16, 2013

ARC Review: The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publishing Date: September 17th, 2013
Genre: YA
Pages: 448 pgs
ISBN: 9780545424943
Source: borrowed from a fellow blogger for an honest review



Summary from Goodreads:
Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after...

My Review: 

*** As this is a sequel this book may contain spoilers.  Proceed at your own risk ***

Well I have put off writing this review for so long because I don't know what words I can use to accurately describe the awesomeness of this book.  I fell in love with this series in the first book The Raven Boys and I thought that the second book can't possibly be as good.  I thought that it would suffer from the second book in a series syndrome where there is a lot of back story, and a bit of filling in the blanks with a lot of unanswered questions.  Second books are useful to build up the plot but sometimes there isn't a lot that happens in them.  I am happy to tell you that this book does not suffer from second book syndrome and in fact, I would say that it is even better than the first book.  
This book centers on Ronan and his family.  At the end of book one we find out that Ronan pulled his raven out of a dream and into the real world.  We learn that this may have been something that was inherited from his family.  Things get very interesting in this novel and I love the world that Stiefvater has created.  Things are creepy, disturbing and magical which helps to make the story come alive when you're reading.  
I also really liked the new insight we get into Blue and her struggle trying to figure out the prophecy.  How horrible would it be if you knew that if you kiss the man you love you will kill him?  She demonstrates a lot of self restraint but she also doesn't allow herself to open up enough for fear that something bad will happen.  
I have to admit though that Adam started rubbing me the wrong way in this novel.  I mean I can relate to wanting to do things on your own and being independent but I also know how to graciously accept help if I need it.  Adam doesn't seem to understand that when there are people in your life that love you, they just want to help you be the best you can be.  He began to really grate on my nerves at times but then other times you caught a glimpse of his vulnerability and I was reminded of why I liked him so much in the first novel. 
Well I'm not sure I'm doing this book justice in explaining why I loved this book but I have to say that this book is definitely on my top ten list of the year.  Now, I have forever to wait until the next book in the series comes out.  Let the waiting begin.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment