Monday, April 1, 2013

ARC Review: This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

Publisher: Poppy
Publishing Date: April 2nd, 2013
Genre: YA Contemporary
Pages: 416 pgs
ISBN: 9780316212823
Source: Borrowed ARC from a friend



Summary from Goodreads:
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?

When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

 

My Review: 

One word that comes to mind when I think of describing this book is cute.  For me this is just the thing I needed to read at this juncture in my life.  Things at home have been fairly stressful and so I needed something light and something fun.  This book is exactly what I was looking for. 
After reading The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, I was excited with I heard Jennifer E. Smith had written a new book.  Her first novel was very sweet and her characters were memorable.  I was a little worried that this second novel wouldn't live up to my expectations because the first book was so good.  All my worries were washed away when I started reading this novel. 
It is a love story between Graham and Ellie.  They meet accidentally via e-mail and to Ellie's surprise her e-mail correspondent is actually a famous movie heartthrob.  As most good love stories go, things get a little complicated. 
I really enjoy the characters in this book, including the secondary characters.  Ellie's mom was both quite supportive and infuriating all at the same time.  I had a hard time with her because she let her own past experiences colour the way she reacts to Ellie and Graham.  I felt like it caused Ellie and Graham to miss some valuable time together.  This is really just a very minor irritant and if that's the only thing I have to say negative about this book then I'm okay with that. 
I read this book over the course of a day and I really couldn't put this down.  I would suggest running to the store to get it if you need a feel good type of book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment