Thursday, April 5, 2012

Review: This is a Love Story by Jessica Thompson

Publisher: Coronet
Publishing Date: February 2nd 2012
Genre: Chick Lit, Fiction
Pages: 440 pgs
ISBN: 9781444734218

My Rating: 3 stars

Summary from Goodreads:
This is a love story.

Boy meets girl and girl falls for boy - that much is true.

But when Sienna meets Nick it's not the way it happens in love stories. It's because of a squirrel on water skis...

She sees Nick's dangerous brown eyes and thinks,

Don't.

Fall.

Into.

Them.

Who will be there to catch Siena when she falls? She is so fragile. She has so many secrets, and he is not that serious.

Funny and sad, this is the story of two people destined never to come together in the great love affair they crave more than anything else


My Review:
I received this book at our Ottawa book blogger meet-up from Hatchette group for review. I like a good chick lit story and I was looking forward to reading this book. I have to admit that while I ended up liking this book as a whole, there were times when I wanted to throw the book across the room.
The main characters in the novel, Sienna and Nick, are clearly in love with each other. It is apparent from page 1 and they do not seem to be able to get their shit together. Both are stubborn and they are too afraid to admit how they feel. This makes for a very frustrating reading experience.
The book is told in both their perspectives and so the reader knows what is going on for each character at all times. It really makes you wish you could jump into the book smack both Sienna and Nick on the back of the head and say: "You love each other so what in the heck are you waiting for?!? Please, just kiss already!!" In fact, I may or may not have done this aloud while reading and my husband may or may not think that I am insane.
Overall, I give this book 3 out of 5. This is merely based on the frustration level because I do think that the writing was good and that it held my attention. If Nick and Sienna had gotten their act together sooner I may have given it a 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment