Friday, March 9, 2012

Review: Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: December 21rst, 2010
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Pages: 320 pgs
ISBN:  9780316052092

Rating: 5 stars

Summary from Goodreads
Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart.

She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition.

Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?

Rich with emotion, Sarah Ockler delivers a powerful story of family, love, and self-discovery.


My Review:
I loved, loved, loved this book. I could not put this book down and I think read it in 4 hours. It was emotional and hard hitting and it was just the kind of book I needed at the time.

The book is about Delilah, who just found out her grandmother died. She has not seen or spoken to her grandmother in quite some time due to a falling out that her grandmother had with her mother. Now she is forced to spend the summer at her grandmother's house getting it ready for resale. During this summer she learns much more about herself that she ever could have imagined.

While I was reading this book, I was also going through some pretty emotional stuff. My aunt had just died and I had a lot of mixed emotions about it. My aunt had been an alcoholic her whole life and as a result she had burned a lot of relationships with her family. I found the whole thing to be incredibly sad and I was much more emotional than I thought I would be. At first, as I was reading this book I wondered if it was the right kind of book to be reading. In the end I actually it to be quite good for me.

Delilah has a lot of mixed emotions because she never really knew what happened with her grandmother and at times she seemed to be a bit distant from the whole thing. In the end she comes to terms with everything and I hope to one day do so in my own life.

Ockler's writing style is so wonderful and engaging and I can't wait to read more books by her. I have Bittersweet sitting on my shelf at home and I will be diving into this as soon as possible. Overall, I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment