Friday, January 13, 2012

Review: The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder

Publisher: Razorbill
Publishing Date: December 8th, 2011
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Pages: 336 pgs
ISBN: 9781595143686

Rating: 4.5 stars


Summary from GoodReads:
Dry, sarcastic, sixteen-year-old Cam Cooper has spent the last seven years in and out hospitals. The last thing she wants to do in the short life she has left is move 1,500 miles away to Promise, Maine - a place known for the miraculous events that occur there. But it's undeniable that strange things happen in Promise: everlasting sunsets; purple dandelions; flamingoes in the frigid Atlantic; an elusive boy named Asher; and finally, a mysterious envelope containing a list of things for Cam to do before she dies. As Cam checks each item off the list, she finally learns to believe - in love, in herself, and even in miracles.

A debut novel from an immensely talented new writer, The Probability of Miracles crackles with wit, romance and humor and will leave readers laughing and crying with each turn of the page.


My Review: 
I picked up this book because it has been getting a lot of attention lately.  I have to say that when I first started reading it I was unsure if I would like this book but as I continued reading I found that I couldn't put this book down.  I had read something similar recently about a dying teen and I wasn't sure if I could handle another one. That being said, I loved the character of Cam and her crazy entourage.  The book picked up after Cam moves to Promise, Maine in her family's hopes that a miracle may change her terminal diagnosis.  Cam is the ultimate teen who is broody and impulsive at times but she also has a kind of maturity most likely gained from cancer treatment and knowing that she has limited time on this earth.  After moving to Maine, Cam meets Asher who is just about the sweetest guy a girl could meet.  Throughout the novel you almost forget that Cam is sick and you can't help but laugh at the predicaments she gets herself into.  This is another book that actually evoked some tears from me (which I swear doesn't usually happen when reading).  I definitely recommend this book and I give it 4.5 stars out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment