Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publishing Date: May 3rd 2011
Rating: 4.5 stars
Pages: 367 pgs
ISBN: 9781416994084

Summary from GoodReads:

Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.




My Review:
As I stated in my previous post I have started listening to audio books on my long drive to school.  My first audio book was actually Shade which is the first in the Smith-Ready series.  I fell in love with Aura and I am not going to like with Zachary too.  Who can resist a Scottish accent or any accent really for that matter.  I also loved the idea of these books.  That there was a shift and at the shift a whole population of people were born who could see ghosts.  I can not imagine what life would be like if I could see ghosts walking around all the time.  It was an original concept for a story line and I have to admit that I am a bit partial to ghost stories.  It broke my heart in the first novel to listen to Aura go through her struggles with letting Logan go and moving on with her life.  I do not want to give away too much of the storyline but there is quite the twist in this novel.  I love that while many authors seem to go for the multiple book series a la Vampire Academy or Mortal Instruments series, Smith-Ready decided to leave it with 2 books.  I like that after reading the first novel I could go right into the second novel and find out everything.  I hate reading a series and having to wait and wait and wait through several books to get any answers.  That drives me bananas and I eventually end up losing interest.  I love that the book concluded and many questions were answered.  I am not going to lie but I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of Logan.  From the beginning he seemed a bit too egotistical for me.  While he does have some redeeming qualities, I am definitely on Team Zachary.  I would highly recommend both Shade and Shift.  I could not get enough of them and ended up listening to these books even when I was not driving.  I think I may have driven my husband crazy but oh well.   Anyhow, overall I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment