Monday, April 25, 2011

Review: The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain

Publisher: Mira
Publishing Date: April 26th, 2011
ISBN: 9780778329862
Pages: 400 pgs

My Rating: 5 stars

Summary from GoodReads:

'I don't know how to tell you what I did.' The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle - her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her family - described a woman who embraced life. But they didn't know everything. Because the unaddressed letter reveals a terrible secret...and a legacy of guilt that changes everything they thought they knew about the woman who delivered their children. A legacy that will irrevocably change their own lives - and the life of a desperate stranger - forever. Diane Chamberlain gets to the heart of the story.

My Review:
This book was provided to me via NetGalley from the publisher. I have to admit that I could not put this book down. I have never read anything by this author but after reading this book I think I will have to remedy this by reading more books by her. Her writing style flows well and it draws you in. This book is about a midwife who kills herself at the very beginning of the novel. In her death her 2 best friends find out that Noelle, the midwife, was keeping quite a few secrets. It is difficult to write this review without spoiling too much of the book. Tara and Emerson, the two friends left behind, are not only dealing with their own personal problems but now have to face some of the mistakes that Noelle made many years ago. This book is about friendship, family and grieving. I found myself so immersed in this novel and at times found myself drying tears from my eyes. I could not recommend this novel enough. Once you think you have all the secrets figured out Chamberlain throws a few more twists your way, keeping you on your toes. Overall I give this book 5 out of 5 stars and recommend that you run out to your local bookstore and buy it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment