Monday, November 22, 2010

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt/Clarion
Publishing Date: 11/15/2010
ISBN: 9780547330082
Pages: 304 pages

Summary from GoodReads:

Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.
Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.

Kersten Hamilton is the author of several picture books and many middle grade novels. When she's not writing, she hunts dinosaurs in the deserts and badlands outside of Albuquerque, New Mexico, where she lives. This is her first novel for young adults. For more about Kersten, please visit www.kerstenhamilton.com.

My Review:
I received this novel as an advanced reader copy from NetGalley. Overall, I enjoyed this novel. I really liked the concept for the storyline. You don't often see too many books out there that are centered around goblins. There are an abundance of vampire and werewolf stories but not goblins. The one thing that I wish the author did more of is to describe the magical goblin land. Most of the description in the book is done through dialogue rather than actually describing what is happening. I often found that some of the explanations in the novel were glossed over and I would have enjoyed knowing more. It reminded me a bit of Harry Potter in the sense that this is a land where anything magical could happen and I wanted to get more of a sense of where I was when I was reading. That being said, I really liked the characters in this book. Teagan is an independent and strong-willed young lady and her brother Aidan is quite endearing. Aidan is afraid of everything yet at the same time underneath it all he is a tough guy. I don't want to give away any of the plot but I will say that the plot is fast paced. There is always something going on and I am fairly certain there will be other books in this series. I give this book 3.5 stars out of 5.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished this book today. I enjoyed it, but thought it was a little choppy. The beginning especially. i agree that more description of goblin land was necessary to really understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!

    Just wanted to let you know that you’ve won an award on my blog! You can collect your award by clicking on the link below. Thanks for the awesomeness!

    http://comacalm.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-won-award-for-being-awesome.html

    ComaCalm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison- Choppy is definitely the way I'd describe it. Not sure if I want to keep reading the series. It might get better.

    ComaCalm- Wow, thanks. I've only been blogging for a few months now and I never expected something like this. I will definitely make a post on the blog about soon. Sorry the blog hasn't been super active lately. I have been quite busy. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete